Saturday, August 9, 2008

Back by Popular Demand

Hello, everyone! Welcome to the Colon Family Circus' inaugural post. I've decided that this might be a more convenient (for me) way to keep everyone up to speed on the everyday trials and tribulations of "Monkey-see, Monkey-do", aka Gabriel, formerly known as 'Chunkey-monkey'. I hadn't quite realized the enormous popularity of the monthly newsletters, that is until I was chastised on numerous occasions for no longer writing them. While I had only planned on doing newsletters for the first 12 months of Gabe's life (and I know, the 12 month newsletter is still MIA), it seems people want more. So here I sit, typing away, back by popular demand.

Rather than attempt to give a play-by-play of the last 3 months, I'll just hit a couple of the highlights. If I retold everything Gabriel did that astonishes me, inspires me, or makes me laugh, lets face it, I'd never stop typing.

Gabe officially started walking about a week and a half prior to his first birthday. For a birthday present, we got him a pair of shoes called 'Wee Squeaks'. They have tiny little squeakers in the heels, and we can hear every little step that our tiny monkey makes. Hmmm... annoying many might think, but let me tell you, they are amazing. We know exactly where he is at all times. If you don't hear squeaking, then you know he's into something, and most likely its something he's not supposed to be into. Gabe had a wonderful 1st birthday party, complete with his own cake to destroy, despite the fact that it was held on the hottest and most humid day of the year. A very large umbrella, a baby pool, and a sprinkler made the event a bearable occasion.

Gabriel has the gift of gab, and for those of you that know me, yes, he gets it honest. He's literally a parrot right now. You say a word, he looks at you and tries to say it too (hence "Monkey-see, Monkey-doo") . His vocabulary grows by leaps and bounds everyday. Peas, cheese, baby, doggie, kitty, meow, bird, turtle, chicken, agua, teeth, leche (milk), fish, cracker, juice, no, dirty, bye-bye... New sounds and syllables are constantly coming from his cute little lips.

He is having great fun spending his summer days hanging out with his daddy. They play and sleep, and eat, and sleep some more, and play, and go for walks... Boy, do they have it rough! One of Gabe's favorite activities is to go downtown to Binns Park to play in the interactive fountain. He loves to run to the edge, stick his hands in the water, and then run away, squealing with glee. Talk about lucky! This boy will walk through the middle of the fountain, bend over and peer into the tiny holes in the concrete where the water shoots out from, or even stand directly on a hole, and he still doesn't get wet. It's maddening at times. We just shake our heads in disbelief, pick him up, and stick him in. Then, miraculously, it's usually one of us that gets got.

**YAWN** Oh my, it's getting late. This is one of the glories of blogging as opposed to the newsletter - I can just call it quits this very second instead of trying to come up with some clever and witty closing paragraph. Check back in soon for new pictures and updates.




No comments: